10 Social Media New Year’s Resolutions for 2011
Happy New Year! As 2011 begins, it’s time to think about your social media New Year’s resolutions. Forget about those other resolutions that go by the wayside in February – you know – lose weight, quit smoking, quit drinking, etc. I’m talking about social media-related resolutions. If you haven’t already made yours, here are some suggestions:
- Comment on other people’s blogs. You know how it feels when someone comments on your blog. Read blogs from the people you follow in your social networks and offer your opinions. Trust me, it will make the author’s day – I know it makes mine.
- Instead of promoting your stuff, promote someone else’s stuff — their blog, website, or their business. You can do this through an updated LinkedIn status, a tweet, blog post, or Facebook update. The karma will eventually come back to you.
- Show your readers your personal side. Instead of writing another blog post on how to use social media in your business, write about something personal – a family tradition, favorite hobby, or a recent road trip.
- Use your social media skills to help a local non-profit or charity in need of some marketing assistance. For example, offer to shoot a video of a dog or cat up for adoption at the local shelter. Then, upload it to YouTube and link it to your social networks along with the shelter’s website or predetermined landing page.
- Write a recommendation for a co-worker or business associate on LinkedIn. An unsolicited recommendation is a nice surprise for the recipient. Remember that karma thing.
- Get to know your Facebook friends – all 700 of them. Update your status by asking your friends to post (or email) one thing about them that you didn’t already know. Hey, you wanted to have all these friends — why not get to know them better?
- Email a LinkedIn connection whom you don’t know very well and invite him/her to meet for coffee. You might find out you have friends or business associates in common. It might even lead to a business opportunity.
- Instead of waiting for someone to follow you before following back, follow some new people on Twitter whom you would like to learn from. Who knows, they might actually follow you back!
- Write a blog post on a healthy habit you’ve adopted, and your secret to sticking with it. We could all use a new health-related New Year’s resolution…you know, one that actually works.
- Keep your mind active and expand your knowledge. Learn a new technical skill or read a book on a new trend in social media. Then, my friends, share your newfound knowledge with someone in need of your expertise. On my list of new things to learn: more about WordPress, video editing, and advanced Photoshop skills.
That’s enough for a start. How about you? What social media-related New Year’s resolutions do you have on your list for 2011?
Other places I hang out
What are you looking for?
Sneak peek from my YouTube channel
Comments from my fans
What I write about
TagsBilly Blanks blogging blogs brand awareness brand credibility branding business teams campaign building copyrights customer service Denise Austin Finger Lakes fitness Gin Miller Google healthy lifestyle holidays humor John Moore Kendra Ramirez LinkedIn LinkedIn groups marketing Mom Nate Riggs networking New Year's resolutions online reputation Pete Blackshaw QR codes sales SEO ShadowboxLive smartphone social media social media policy social media strategy social networks SummitUp video viral WOM WordCamp WordPress workout DVD review
Favorite social media tweeters